How I've been "habit tracking"!

8:00:00 AM

Okay, so "habit tracking" has been something that I have struggled with for SO long. Somedays, or strings of days, I feel like I have everything on track and then BAM - one day I'm busy, lose my streak, and then let myself keep going, going, going, GOING further and further away from my goals and I end up having a 7 day streak of NOT doing my daily habits. Anyone else relate?

Anyway, I tried out the whole bullet journaling spread, I've tried the cute printables, I've tried all the free habit tracking apps that my iphone has to offer and NOTHING was working for me! I'd either hate the program, or hate the paper clutter or just end up spending hours and hours working up a "perfect" spread only to realize a few days later that I hate it - or that I want to incorporate something new into my daily habits.

Then in December of last year I had this weird google sheets kick, haha. I was OBSESSED with google sheets because I had just discovered it, and because google docs is the bomb.com. Being in school and super busy and already carrying around way too much around campus I LIVED for google docs and it's accessibility - so when I discovered google docs I went a little nuts...

I realized that when it comes to habit tracking that more than ANYTHING else the functionality and accessibility of your habit tracker should be your deciding factors. For me, google docs is SO easy to manipulate and update when needed, and you can still add in highlighted boxes or change text/text colors - plus it takes a whole 5 minutes to set up! Being able to access it from ANY laptop, desktop, and/or phone during any time of the day is just the icing on the cake!



The screenshot above shows my general habit tracking spreadsheet! This is just the skeleton of my habit tracking month - at the end of the month it looks a whole lot crazier and messier - yet it's still super functional and easy to use ;)

Basically, I start off with the list of habits that I want to MAKE SURE I do DAILY. My top priorities are weighing myself every morning, queing my favorite youtube videos and blog posts, working out, DOCUMENTING how much money I spend, food journaling, doing 20xp of duolingo, writing in my "gratitude journal", practicing the law of attraction, listening to a conference talk, reading my scriptures, FLOSSING, and just tracking the days I do and don't wash my hair (this one is the weirdest/grossest one, I know, but I like knowing how long I can go without washing my hair before it gets out of hand, haha).

Anyway, as seen above the little boxes from the 1st-31s of october that document my "spending" are already pinked out with a dash through them - meaning I'm trying my hardest not to spend money those days ;) OBVIOUSLY if I spend money then I'll white that box out and check it with a little 'x' but I like to pre-pink those out so that I know what I'm shooting for that day.

After the greyed out column, there are columns that read "date/place/$$$/card". This is where I track my purchases! If I spend money I write what day it was, where I spent the money, how much I've spend, and the method of payment I used.

The next section (meaning after the next grey column - that's what I'm calling them from here on out, haha) is my food journal! Everyday I write down my weight (lbs), what I ate for breakfast, lunch, dinner and what I had for snacks that day!

The sections after that are my gratitude, attraction, and conference talk sections! Gratitude speaks for itself - each day i write out a sentence of one of the things I'm grateful for. The attraction section is for things that I wish to "speak" into existence! This one is more fun and silly - but it really motivates me and helps me lift my spirits! Lastly, the conference talk section is where I write the name of the conference talk I listened to for that day and the speaker!

And that's it! That's how I habit track!
I make a new sheet for every month and I just tab through them when I want to see how well I'm progressing (or regressing). The month of october is so vastly different from my january sheet which makes it so much more exciting and interesting to see! I've added a few more habits and a few more habit "sections" and I'm able to play around with it and cater it to the things I'm interesting in tracking!

How do you guys habit track? What are some tips you all have for me!? Let me know! and thanks so much for reading!

xo, me.

You Might Also Like

0 comments