College Essentials

9:30:00 AM

1. Sturdy Backpack.
***** I recommend one with mesh pockets for water bottle(s).
Seriously, I think a bought a new cute backpack/large tote purse EVERY SINGLE SEMESTER before finally realizing that when in college function beats fashion every time (at least when it comes to backpacks). I always saw people with cute little pull-string backpacks or even super trendy totes (I even spend $160 on a LongChamp Le Pliage foolishly believing that I wouldn't mind lugging around a giant tote on ONE shoulder every single day). It wasn't until my FIFTH semester (that's right, 5/8 semesters) that I decided I was going to get a plain black North Face backpack with thick straps, back ventilation, a laptop pouch, and tons of room. It was such a good idea. I never really worry about my backpack breaking or it getting ratty if I throw it around a lecture hall or my house or the light rail or wherever. It really is soooo nice having so many pockets and not only one, but TWO mesh pockets for water bottles. Especially in Arizona where you need to carry water everywhere with you!!! Go simple and spend ~$100 on a North Face ONCE than buying a new ~$50 backpack or tote every semester!

2. Planner/Organizer.
Planners have saved my life, seriously. This is also another thing that I like to change up just whenever I feel like it. Target is my go-to place when looking for a new planner because (1) they're cheap! (2) they're super cute! (3) they do the job. I've never been one to spend more than $20 on a planner that I bring around with me because they get pretty beat up when they're constantly in and out of my backpack and accompanying me along my library dates. There are also other options such as Erin Condren, Lily Pulitzer, and Kate Spade that offer super cute designs! However, my #1 suggestion is that you find a planner that offers what you need whether it be weekly/monthly/daily layouts, a goals page, a place to keep track of birthdays, a notes sections, time blocks, ect. Again, function > fashion.

3. Laptop (Working & reliable Wifi while you're at it!)
You're going to be writing lots of papers and researching a lot of different things while in college! In addition, there are a million websites that help with studying and/or staying organized. A laptop (preferably a light-weight laptop if you're bringing it with you to your classes and all over campus) is a must. I have a Macbook Pro that stays home because of how heavy it is, and a new Macbook (the super light gold one) that comes with me to school!

4. Laser printer.
If you type out your notes I still heavily suggest printing them out and highlighting/annotating as an additional study aide! Plus, buying toner is so much cheaper thank buying regular ink. And it lasts a million years. Seriously.

5. Sticky notes, highlighters, colored pens*.
These items are more for fun/visual aids (if you're a visual learner like me)! I generally print out my notes or the posted slideshows and go completely nuts highlighting and annotating and making little pneumonics all over each sheet of paper and having all my scattered thoughts in one place and color-coded keeps me sane throughout the semester!


And there you have it! My top 5 college essentials that I seriously would be so lost without!
Have a great semester/school year everyone! Happy studying ;)

xo, me.

You Might Also Like

0 comments